5 years and the sixth ride in Berlin. Time to make it quick and dirty.
The “No Pants Subway Ride” (NPSR for short) is a yearly worldwide event by Improv Everywhere. It started back in 2002 in New York and is always happening in January. Nobody would recognize the missing pants in summer, wouldn’t they? It’s a kind of funny play staged in the public where anybody can join – like a big improvised street theater.
- Sunday, 8th January, 14:00
- S+U Frankfurter Allee, Foodcourt at Ringcenter 2 (Map)
- What to bring:
- a valid BVG ticket and a backpack/bag/something like that, to hide the pants. Also props are nice – e.g: a comic, book, news papers; everything for a normal subway ride.
- better left at home:
- cameras, alcohol, promo-signs
- What to wear:
- what you are usually wearing and if you want to funny underwear (but please no strings, thongs, in german “Rüsselslips”, and so on)
- can be done on Facebook (optional but appreciated)
- at the Bar “2nd Home” (Niederbarnimstr. 25, 10247 Berlin – U-Bhf Samariterstraße) -> Event on Facebook
Rules of the Game
- You need the willingness to ride the subway without pants or like (ie skirts) and to change cars/lines like that.
- You have to stay in role and be serious, so you can give the impression like you were doing something absolutely normal.
- That role doesn’t include to play a photographer or an ad. We will take pictures and film the ride. You will see yourself pantless, just by joining.
- Public Transport? So a valid ticket. If you use “Einzelfahrscheine” you will need two of them.
- Good manners: do not disturbe uninvolved passengers, so unprovocative behavior. If someone gets upset, be the wiser one and go a bit away. Of course this includes appropriate underwear. And everything else on public transportation, which would annoy you: crowded cars, unneeded delays…
- By attending the No Pants Subway Ride (NPSR), you agree to the creation pictures of you in the context of the NPSR, as well as the use and publication of such images for the purpose of public reporting. A commercial use of such images by the organizers does not happen. It‘s all about fun, not money.
- Media: we have some kind of statement for you
The most important: the undressing part (and also the dressing part) will happen in the subway. And we will leave the cars only in underground stations. So it won´t be too cold. But we’ll take a group photo once again at the Weltzeituhr, which is outside apparently. Tipp: wait inside the station until every group is back. Of course bad weather can change our plans. Also the last group is going to take the S-Bahn on the way back.
We will meet near to S+U Frankfurter Allee (Foodcourt at Ringcenter 2, Map). At the meeting point we will split up in several groups (at least 20 persons per group). Each group will take a different train.
After that we enter the trains (U5 direction Alexanderplatz). Please spread over all cars and move as ordinary as possible. Read a book, listen to music, talk to friends (but not about the “No Pants Subway Ride”). Act like it would be a normal ride with the subway.
We will leave and re-enter the trains every now and then. The first time will be at Frankfurter Tor, which means we will take off our pants and hide them after the train leaves Samariterstraße. If you are asked about what you are doing, say something nice like “those were to uncomfortable”, “too hot”, “they are itchy” or “Dude, did you see this guy with that pants? He is wearing the exact same ones like me. I don’t do ‘Partnerlook’ with a stranger.” Invent something, but nobody should get that the ride is organized.
After we left the train, we simply wait for the next one. Being asked why you are missing your pants “oh, well, shit. I knew I forgot something” – or anything else. It’s okay to say that it is a little bit could (it wasn’t the last years). Nevertheless we don’t have to wait that long – appr. 5 minutes – till the next train will be there.
Back in the U5 we ride to Alex without getting off again. There we change to the U2 (direction Ruhleben). Once again spread over the whole platform. With the U2 we go to Kaiserdamm, whereby getting on and off the train. You can find a list of the “get off and on again”-stops at the bottom of this page. If the weather is fine and there are enough who want, the last group will take the S-Bahn from Zoo (get offs: Hauptbahnhof, Friedrichstraße).
Being at Alexanderplatz again, the group photo will be taken at the Weltzeituhr. Apparently we have to get out of the underground without pants. It could get a little cold, but we will hurry. Tip: wait inside until all groups are at Alex.
From there we will hit the U5 again to go to the After-Ride-Party. The place to be for that one is the 2nd Home in Niederbarnimerstraße 25 – Station: Samariterstraße.
How to behave
Starting with the undies. We can’t prescribe anything and funny underwear is great, but please not in a way, which is too obvious. Wearing two sets of undies is no problem and for sensitive bladders the better choice. But please do not wear thongs, “Rüsselslips” or other kind of underwear which could be offensive. Also please be aware of “hang outs”. And of course wear underpants. We want to make people laugh and not annoy them.
You also have to behave unremarkable when it comes to taking photos or videos. Please take as less photos as possible and don’t use (D)-SLRs or something else which is big. We have some photographers and videographers. You can enjoy the ride and still can get pictures afterwards. I would be happy to do so! That also counts for media representatives. Taking photos before and after the ride is totally okay.
Furthermore please bear personality rights in mind. Those of yourself and other participants. Of course it is a public event and everybody is showing his booty by choice. But even for the most lovely ones it isn’t nice if it is specific filmed or photographed. When you notice somebody doing so, show teamplay, place yourself in front of them and/or talk to the person.
And to sum up aka TL;DR;
- act like it is the most normal thing in the world to ride the subway without pants (UK: trousers)
- valid ticket for the subway
- other passengers should laugh not getting annoyed
- if you bring somebody with you, please show her this
- the ride is no party, ad platform or a class for street photography
- ask if something is unclear or we did a failure
- 14:oo Frankfurter Allee
- U5 direction Alexanderplatz: get offs Frankfurter Tor, Alexanderplatz (change to U2)
- U2 direction Ruhleben: get offs Stadtmitte, Potsdamer Platz, Wittembergplatz, Zoo, Kaiserdamm (heading back)
- U2 direction Pankow: get offs Zoo (opt. S-Bahn), Wittembergplatz, Potsdamer Platz, Stadtmitte, Alexanderplatz (group photo at Weltzeituhr)
- S-Bahn: get offs Hauptbahnhof, Friedrichstraße, Alexanderplatz (group photo at Weltzeituhr)
- Photo Weltzeituhr
- U5 -> After-Ride-Party 2nd Home (Niederbarnimerstr. 25; U-Bhf Samariterstraße)
That’s it. Have fun and till sunday!