“The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change” and we have to succumb to that. Or to the BVG’s construction plans. After 7 years of forming a true bond with the U2 it’s over. The eighth No Pants Subway Ride in Berlin is going to be on the U8 and U7.
The “No Pants Subway Ride” (NPSR for short) is a yearly worldwide event by Improv Everywhere. It started back in 2002 in New York and always happens in January. Nobody would notice the missing pants in summer, would they? It’s a kind of funny play staged in public where anybody can join – like a big improvised street theater.
- Sunday, 13th January 2019, 15:00
- S+U Frankfurter Allee, Foodcourt at Ringcenter 2 (Map)
- What to bring:
- valid BVG ticket(s) and a backpack/bag/something like that, to hide the pants. Also props are nice – e.g: a comic, book, news papers; everything for a normal subway ride.
- Better left at home:
- cameras, alcohol, promo signs
- What to wear:
- what you usually wear, and if you want to, funny underwear (but please no strings, thongs, in german “Rüsselslips”, and so on)
- can be done on Facebook (optional but appreciated)
- here as PDF
- 18:00 Uhr @ Radio – The Label Bar -> Event on Facebook
Rules of the Game
- You need to be willing to ride the subway without pants or the like (e.g. skirts) and to change cars/lines like that.
- You have to play your role and stay serious in order to convey the impression that you are doing something absolutely normal.
- That role doesn’t include playing a photographer or an ad. We will take pictures and film the ride. You will see yourself pantless, just by joining.
- Public Transport? So you need a valid ticket. If you use “Einzelfahrscheine”, you will need two of them.
- Good manners: Do not disturb uninvolved passengers, a.k.a: unprovocative behavior, please. If someone gets upset, be the wiser one and go away. Of course this includes appropriate underwear. And everything else that would annoy you, too, on public transport: crowded wagons, unnecessary delays …
- By attending the No Pants Subway Ride (NPSR), you agree to the creation of pictures of you in the context of the NPSR, as well as the use and publication of such images for the purpose of public reporting. There will be no commercial use of such images by the organizers. It‘s all about fun, not money.
- Media: We have some kind of statement for you
The most important: the undressing part will happen in the subway. And we will leave the train only in underground stations. So it won´t be too cold. But we’ll take a group photo once again at the Weltzeituhr, which is outside apparently. Tip: wait inside the station until everyone is back. Of course bad weather can change our plans.
We will meet near S+U Frankfurter Allee (Foodcourt at Ringcenter 2, Map). At the meeting point we will split up in several groups. Each group will take a different train.
After that we enter the trains (U5 direction Alexanderplatz). Please spread use the full length of the train and move as ordinary as possible. Read a book, listen to music, talk to friends (but not about the “No Pants Subway Ride”). Act as if it’s a normal ride on the subway.
We take off our pants in the subway – meaning the cars, not the platform. If you are asked about what you are doing, say something nice like “those were too uncomfortable”, “too hot”, “they are itchy” or “Dude, did you see that guy with those pants? He is wearing the exact same type as me. I’m not doing ‘Partnerlook’ with a stranger.” Invent something, but nobody should find out that the ride is organized. Being asked why you are missing your pants “oh, well, shit. I knew I forgot something” – or anything else. It’s okay to admit that it is a little bit cold (it wasn’t in the last years).
Like that we will ride through Berlin, despite getting off and onto the trains again every now and then (the exact stations are listed below). With the U5 we are going to Alexanderplatz, there we change into the U8 direction Hermannstraße and get off at Hermannplatz. From there we take the U7 direction Rathaus Spandau to Jungfernheide and from there the same way back to Alexanderplatz. Using the U7 we will get off the trains at Mehringdamm, Berliner Straße und Wilmersdorfer Straße, wait for next one and get back in (on both ways).
For the typical group photo we gather at the Weltzeituhr. Since we are several groups, the first will have to wait for the last. (At the start the same happens the other way around, so it’s even.) And apparently we have to get out of the underground without pants. It could get a little cold, but we will hurry. Nevertheless a very useful Tip: wait inside (at the subway station) until all groups have arrived.
From there we will hit the U5 again to go to the After-Ride-Party. The place to be for that one is “Radio – The Label Bar” – Station: Frankfurter Allee.
How to behave
Starting with the undies. We can’t prescribe anything and funny underwear is great, but please not in a too obvious way. Wearing two sets of undies is no problem and the better choice for sensitive bladders. But please do not wear thongs, “Rüsselslips” or other kinds of underwear that could be offensive. Also please be aware of “hang outs”. And of course wear underpants. We want to make people laugh and not annoy them.
You also have to behave inconspicuously when it comes to taking photos or videos. Please take as few photos as possible and don’t use (D)-SLRs or something else that is big. We have some photographers and videographers. You can enjoy the ride and still can get pictures afterwards. I would be happy to do so! That also counts for media representatives. Taking photos before and after the ride is totally okay.
Furthermore please bear personality rights in mind – those of yourself and other participants. Of course it is a public event and everybody is showing their booty by choice. But even for the most lovely ones it isn’t nice if it is specifically filmed or photographed. If you notice somebody doing so, show teamplay, place yourself in front of them and/or talk to the person.
And to sum up aka TL;DR;
- act like it is the most normal thing in the world to ride the subway without pants
- valid ticket(s) for the subway
- other passengers should laugh, not get annoyed
- if you bring somebody with you, please show them this
- the ride is not a party, advertising platform or a class for street photography
- ask if something is unclear or we made a mistake
- route as PDF
- 15:00 Frankfurter Allee
- U5 Richtung Alexanderplatz -> Alexanderplatz
- U8 Richtung Hermannstraße -> Hermannplatz
- U7 Richtung Rathaus Spandau: get offs: Mehringdamm, Berliner Straße, Wilmersdorfer Straße, Jungfernheide
- from Jungfernheide back via U7 & U8 to Alexanderplatz
- photo Weltzeituhr
- U5 -> After-Ride-Party 18:00 Uhr @ Radio – The Label Bar -> Event auf Facebook
That’s it. Have fun and till sunday!
(yes, the quote at the beginning feels like writing in Comic Sans…)